The department trains students (bachelor, specialist, master) in the major 6.051402 “Biomedical Engineering”, specialities 7.05140201, 8.05140201 – “Biomedical Engineering”, 7.05140203, 8.05140203 – “Information Technology in Biomedicine”.
Students will learn:
- to develop units of medical devices;
- to design electrically programmable logic devices (EPLD);
- to use and develop functionally complete modules for displaying of biomedical information;
- to apply methods for improving the accuracy of measurements, as well as ways to improve measurements;
- to identify malfunctions of nodes of electronic appliances and devices;
- to develop design documentations for electronic devices;
- to make and use biomedical application programs and computer technologies.
The field of knowledge of BME specialists:
- the development and operation of diagnostic and therapeutic hardware and software;
- development of devices and artificial replacement organs;
- development of computer technologies for sports medicine and fitness;
- automatic analysis of biosignals;
- use of nanoelectronics in medicine;
- mathematical modeling, computer graphics and 3D-visualization;
- development of medical software;
- development of medical hardware.
Science and International Cooperation
Students, post-graduate students and staff use unique software and hardware of biomedical purposes in teaching and research work. The branches of the Department are Regional Clinical Hospital, Institute for Medical Radiology of AMS of Ukraine and others. They provide a study of modern health care devices and systems of the world’s leading companies – «Siemens», «General Electrics», «Varian», «Philips», «AGFA». Branch of the Department at Ukrainian Research Institute of Prosthetics, Prosthesis and rehabilitation provides equipment of its own production, which is used for rehabilitation of disabled persons.
Now scientists perform 12 research projects, including three international grants of Ukrainian Scientific-Technological Center. During past decade staff published nine monographs, about 300 articles, 56 patents, more than 500 scientific conference reports.
The Department is training post-graduate students and doctoral candidates in the fields:
- “Biological and Medical Devices and Systems”,
- “Systems of Automation of the design work”,
- “Physical Electronics”.
The Department prepared more than 60 candidates and 7 doctors of science.
BME Department has close research links with academic institutions and leading scientific production organizations of medical-technical field: Grigoriev Institute for Medical Radiology of National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine; Sytenko Institute of Spine and joint Pathology of National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine; Ukrainian Research Institute of Prosthetics, Prosthesis and rehabilitation; Institute of General and Emergency Surgery of National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine; National University of Pharmacy; Kharkiv Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education; Institute of Dermatology and Venereology of National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine; Karazin Kharkiv National University; Kharkiv National Medical University; Institute for Problems of Cryobiology and Cryomedicine of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, etc.
In recent years, cooperation with organizations and scientific institutions of the USA, UK, Germany, Austria, Russia, Finland, Canada, Poland, the Czech Republic became closer. Due to international research grants research laboratories of the Department received equipment that provides a spread spectrum of research and improves training of high-skilled educational staff.
One of the main areas of activity of the Department is the fundamental research and development of new electronic devices and systems in medicine, public health and the environmental science.
Led by Professors A. Bykh, V. Sements, M. Rozhitskii, O. Avrunin and scientists in research groups and problem laboratories are developing methods, hardware and software for functional and laboratory diagnostics of human health, equipment for stereotactic surgery, methods of rehabilitation of disabled persons, methods of studying the psychophysiological state of a person, dataware for insulin therapy and pharmacy, electronic training devices, hardware for agricultural technology, software and hardware for environmental monitoring, examination of the condition of the musculoskeletal system with medical introscopy methods and more.